St Mary and St Pancras CE Primary School is governed by people representing our local community and its links with the wider world. Some governors are parents or staff, others are foundation (Church of England) governors, from the local authority or the churches of St Mary the Virgin and New St Pancras. All our governors have equal status and make decisions collectively. In a typical governing body meeting, we might look at results, discuss budgets, advise on personnel issues, develop policies, assess the impact of recent legislation, and generally help the Headteacher steer the future direction of the school. Everything we do is to keep our children safe and healthy in body, mind and spirit, ready to achieve educationally, and able to play their part in society as they grow up.
Our legal duties include:-
• setting strategic direction, policies and objectives • approving the school budget • reviewing progress against the School Development Plan objectives • appointing, challenging and supporting the Headteacher. Individual governors have regular meetings with staff in one capacity or another. We all meet together as a body nine times a year. If you think there is something the governors need to know and to discuss there, please contact the Chair, Richard Walton, through the school office. How do I become a Governor? Our governing body is currently complete, but if you think you have what it takes to be a school governor there are a number of ways of finding schools that have vacancies: 1) You can contact your local school to ask if they need a new governor 2) You can contact the School Governors’ One Stop Shop‘, which recruits Governors nationally 3) You can contact your local council 4) Contact the LDBS.
St Mary & St Pancras governance arrangements are as follows:
- The Full Governing Body meets each month for nine months of the year. The FGB is clerked by a clerk from the LDBS.
- The Finance Committee is convened to look at staffing, salaries and the budget and reports to the FGB.
- A designated Admissions Committee meets on behalf of the FGB with delegated authority to decide on admissions to Nursery and Reception every Spring spring term.
- Panels of governors will be convened as and when required to consider parental complaints or disciplinary issues should they arise.
As part of our ongoing transparency we publish our minutes on this website, although that is not a statutory requirement. However, it is a statutory requirement for all governors to publish any conflicts of interest they may have or could be conceived as a possible conflict of interest. These are shown in the following tables. Please click on the tables to view.
Also, we are required to publish the attendance of governors over the previous 12 month rolling period including their term of office and who appoints them. This is shown in the following table:
Governing Body Minutes
No meeting in October
No meeting in October
No meeting in April